The writer was hosted.
Sandos Playacar All Inclusive is a family establishment Riviera Maya Resort which has everything to please: white sand, turquoise water, tropical flowers, slides, shows and spider monkeys. Whether you want to relax by the pool or kayak on the Caribbean Sea, Sandos Playacar offers a fun and easy all-inclusive experience the whole family will enjoy.
AT Sandos Playacar, guests stay an average of seven days, and many call the resort home. A couple from Utah that I met during a recent stay told me that they loved the resort so much that they became Royal Elite Vacation Members on their first visit. They returned a few months later and were delighted to find that staff members remembered their names. They were already planning a third visit to introduce Playacar to their children and grandchildren.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and buy, SheBuysTravel may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Presentation of Sandos Playacar
Sandos Playacar is a paradise of towering palms and beautifully landscaped walkways. You’re bound to get lost as you explore the sprawling property, but wandering the jungle maze is rewarding as you pass an enclosure with a donkey and a cow, an outdoor cat play area (which can be adopted), and pets. colorful flowers at each corner.
Here are some highlights of the resort:
- 10 swimming pools, including two water parks with five slides and two water bars.
- A large stretch of private beach with free loungers.
- Hourly activities, from dodge ball to Zumba.
- Bikes you can borrow to explore the resort and beyond.
- Kayaks and catamarans.
- Burrito bar with a pancake station.
- Cupcake and coffee.
- Children’s club from 4 to 12 years old and teen games room from 13 to 17 years old.
- Mini golf and tennis courts, with equipment provided.
- Shows every night, including a tribute to Shakira and an 80s party.
- Spa with private swimming pool and additional treatments.
- Vendors selling handmade goods, so you can support the locals without leaving the station.
- The Sandos Foundation donation bins, where you can donate clothes, shoes, toys and school supplies to support the local community. Pack with plans to leave gifts behind.
All inclusive formula Sandos Playacar
A all inclusive resort very much like a cruise, minus the crowds. You can stretch out, relax by the pool and eat all the goodies you like. Or you can stay active, with enough options to keep you busy day and night.
Here is what is included in the “All Playa Experience” at Sandos Playacar:
- Air-conditioned hotel room or suite with free wifi.
- Unlimited food and drinks at six a la carte restaurants, a Mexican grill, a main buffet and three snack bars.
- 24 hour room service.
- Alcoholic beverages for 18+.
- Activities, including beach and pool games.
- Bike, kayak and snorkel rental.
- Kids Club and Lite Teen Club, both open 12 hours a day.
- Fitness center and sauna for ages 18 and up.
- Outdoor evening shows for all ages.
- Tram that goes around the complex.
Rooms and Suites at Sandos Playacar
Sandos Playacar has 819 rooms and suites, each with a stocked mini-bar, coffeemaker, and in-room water dispenser for refilling water bottles.
You can choose to stay in one of these three sections.
Haciendas: Designed to recreate the vibe of a Mexican village, haciendas are a great choice if you’re looking for a quiet stay with plenty of room to spread out. My Royal Elite one-bedroom suite was spacious and could accommodate up to five people with its large dining and living areas and separate bedroom. There were also two bathrooms, one with a jacuzzi. My balconies overlooked a private pool and hot tub that I only shared with neighboring units. Hacienda Junior Suites are also available.
Riviera Family: Choose from a Junior Suite with a king size bed and a bunk bed that sleeps three or a Junior Suite with two queen beds and a sofa bed. You won’t have a private pool in this section, but you’ll be closer to the action.
Select Adults Only Club: For an upscale experience, guests in this adults-only section of the resort are greeted with a bottle of sparkling wine and a plate of fruit. They also have access to an adults-only pool with a bar, a dedicated section of the beach with hammocks and a bar, an adults-only breakfast buffet, and two exclusive clubs with concierge services. Ocean view rooms are available.
Dinner at Sandos Playacar
You won’t have to walk far to find a snack or drink. In addition to the resort’s 10 bars, you’ll be spoiled for choice when it comes to dining.
Breakfast and lunch
- Big Festival Buffet: This is the main open buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Breakfast facing the ocean: This buffet breakfast is for Select Club 18+ customers only.
- Cupcake Coffee: Open all day, you can grab a coffee, tea, smoothie or juice and start eating your cupcake at 8am. Come back for a late-night snack before the cafe closes at 11 p.m.
- Snack bar by the sea: Grab snacks and light snacks by the main pool.
- Grilled Mexican Chayita: This is a casual place to grab a burrito, tacos, or salad in the evening, starting at 5 p.m. There is also a creperie.
- Blue Moon Snacks: This seaside snack bar is reserved for Select Club 18+ customers.
- Asian Restaurant: Asian cuisine includes spring rolls, ramen and rice noodles with chicken and shrimp. For dessert, try the fried ice cream, rice cake, or tangerine and sake mousse with wasabi crumble.
- El Gaucho Restaurant: In this steakhouse, order Argentinian empanadas followed by pastas, pizzas or beef dishes.
- Restaurant Fogo de Janeiro: Here, you can enjoy Brazilian-style roast meat on skewers.
- The gourmet: Serving French cuisine, Le Gourmet offers onion soup, French chicken and creme brulee.
- Mexican cuisine Gourmex: For a seated Mexican meal, Gourmex delivers with a table service of guac and delicious tacos.
- Piedmont: This Italian restaurant is reserved for members of the Royal Elite Vacation Club.
Day trip to Sandos Caracol Eco Resort
One of the coolest things about staying at Sandos Playacar is that you can get a free day pass to visit Sandos Caracol Eco Resort, a sister property in Playa del Carmen, about 25 minutes away. If you pay for transportation, which you can arrange through Seek & Go in the Sandos Playacar lobby, you can experience two resorts on your vacation for the price of one.
Sandos Caracol is an amazing place for nature lovers. On the resort’s property, you can swim in a cenote, visit Mayan ruins, and see iguanas, spider monkeys, and coatis. Well worth a visit. Arrive early and you can sign up for activities. Day passes last until 6 p.m., so you can be back at Sandos Playacar in time for dinner.
Things to do near Sandos Playacar All Inclusive
Playa del Carmen is such a beautiful destination on the Riviera Maya that you might want to leave the resort to see more of the area and learn about the history of the Mayan people. Visit the seek and go desk in the lobby to book excursions or make your own arrangements.
Here are some popular excursions:
Sandos Playacar Beach Resort is a great choice for families looking for a fun-filled white-sand beach getaway. There are many options when it comes to dining, water sports and entertainment. The station is sprawling, giving you the feeling of being surrounded by nature, and there is a tram if you are tired of exploring on foot.
Download the Sandos Stay app to check in online up to seven days before your arrival and easily access a map of the resort, pool times, on-site restaurant information and an activity schedule. You can also find check-in information and details about babysitting, ironing and laundry services, dry cleaning, room service, tours and transfers. To ask questions of current and past Sandos Playacar customers, join one of the resort’s avid fan Facebook groups.